Gippsland Health Alliance (GHA), is a consortium of all publicly funded health services in the Gippsland region.
Our overarching objective is to provide timely information to health professionals and administrators wherever needed. This will both maximize the effectiveness of patient care and optimize the use of scarce resources.
In undertaking our work we value:
- our community;
- our staff and other health providers;
- privacy considerations;
GHA is one of five Rural Health Alliances established by the Department of Human Services (DHS). All have similar objectives.
What are our goals?
To improve the quality of health service to Gippsland residents, by providing more timely and comprehensive information to providers, and expanded access to services;
To establish a system that allows providers to easily deliver collaborative and co-coordinated services;
To ensure our work provides the best value for money solution.
What have we achieved to date?
A strategic infrastructure to allow
- Integration and exchange of patient information between providers
- Hospitals to use the same for systems patient administration, financial management and payroll.
- Access to improved electronic communication and clinical and management information
- Piloted network based telephone technology to avoid the cost of telephone calls.
- Piloted the use of video conferencing.
What will we achieve over the next 4 years?
Over the next four years we will;
- Expand the network to include other providers such as community health centres. In time, other professionals such as General Practioners will be able to access information on their patients.
- Consolidate patient data currently held in multiple systems into a concise electronic medical record.
- Provide real time access to relevant patient data for authorized providers.
- Improve service coordination by ensuring patient data is only collected once.
- Improve remote access to services through free video conferencing and phone calls within the GHA network by applying the learning from the pilot projects.
GHA development processes and principles.
All GHA developments will occur within the Victorian State Government framework for health services.
Future developments will be done on a collaborative basis, taking account of broader government priorities, and driven by the need to improve service outcomes or achieve better value for money.
GHA has established task groups in the major areas of health activity to identify opportunities to improve quality and cost effectiveness.
These opportunities will be reviewed by the GHA Steering Committee and, if supported will be subject to a detailed analysis to ensure the proposed outcomes can be achieved in a cost effective way.
Following completion of this analysis the Steering Committee will decide if the project is to proceed and if supported will determine appropriate resourcing, costs timeframes and milestones for successful implementation.